Wednesday, October 1, 2008

LOLCATS explain it all






LOLCats is an internet phenomenon where people put silly / cute captions on pictures of cute / silly cats. A couple of these are famous ones: the "I can has bailout" cat was originally "I can has cheezburger" and is the one everyone thinks of when they think of LOLCats. The "I made you a cookie... but I eated it" is a close second. The "Invisible Housing Bubble" was originally "Invisible Sandwich", and is part of an entire sub-genre of "Invisible [something]" LOLCats pictures. The last cat is saying "$700 billion, please. Ok, thanks, bye" for those of you who don't speak LOLCat. The final picture is Rep. Ron Paul, a vocal opponent of the bailout plan. It's a reference to yet another internet meme, "The cake is a lie!", which means something like, "Your promised reward is merely a fictitious motivator." The 'K THX BAI' and 'the -> teh' are also Internet-hip. And, for completeness, the title is a reference to the Nickelodeon TV show "Clarissa Explains It All", a TV show that was popular when I was about 12, coincidentally the age of kids who think these memes are cool now.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Yay....you're back! I didn't realize that you were back doing these. I thought I would just check and VOILA!....there you were!

Okay - I must admit that I didn't get the cat things (but I liked the cat pictures!), but I loved your comics with the line drawings. Very cute...and yes, I must admit that you are very cute too :o) Keep it up and I'll see you in the funny pages!

jane said...

Tony "hooked me up!"
Huzzah!! as the Ghegis Khan guys would say!
Dad and I read them all just now and laughed the whole way through ---even at the one we didn't get....what's the 1% milk/you could drink whole milk line from? We don't think we've ever seen that movie :~

I love the faces! I would much rather have your comics sooner than wait for artsy drawings! :)

hugs